cv joints

to 'newbies':
Having had several different brands of front-wheel cars in my family over the years, I can attest to the fact that ALL fwd cars suffer from CV joints that wear out.  It's normal.
It's not just a VW issue, since ALL car makers buy their axle assemblies from the same two or three sources in the world.

CV joints are highly-stressed components that live in a harsh environment once the boot has failed....and boots also seem to be very fragile, when you think of their task, and all-too-often fail very quickly in service.  Then, if they aren't inspected OFTEN (and who regularly gets down on their knees and rolls the car several feet while peering up into the suspension very often....other than Scirocco people?) the CV begins its short journey down the road to the tow truck/FLAPS.
What is maybe more surprising is that they last as long as they do....
Larry

  I suspect something is defective in older VW cvjoints as my
  father had to replace them on his Jetta also.

  -ed