Hard Starting Jetta was: OT-motronic help needed

Allyn wrote:

<snip>

> at this point my wife lets me know that she has smelled gas at idle for
> about a week now (good thing it wasnt an oil light).

Well, either it's too rich and it's passing unburned gas OR you have a
fuel leak somewhere (like back towards the fuel pump) and it's dropping
pressure. Or,... see below.

> i finally managed to get it started with the plug in, and it seems to be
> cooperating for the time being (back to the usual 3-5 sec cranking time
> before starting).
>
> so, i figure i've got injectors leaking by, but its idling pretty good
> without fuel, as if its more than one injector thats leaking. is this
> possible? has anyone else seen anything like that happen?
>
> TIA for info/assistance
> Al

After all that cranking and partial running the car warmed up a bit,
this is prob. why you got it started. I'd think bad gas, dirty
injectors, run some cleaner through it while you diagnose it further.

At this point, without a Motronic system (or at least a Bentley) I run
out of good ideas  like the warm up regulator, air by pass stuck, system
responding to the O2 (which should be ignored during cold starts) is
fooled, etc, etc.

TBerk
just muddying the waters I'm afraid.