schno tires

I'm sure you're all very tired (get it?) of this subject.

But that's too bad because I'm going to talk about it now. Hit 'D' and
move on.

I bought a set of 4 used studded snows on steelies for $60.. two Kumhos
and two "Winter Kings". The Kumhos are in great shape; you can still see
the colored line that they add to brand new tires (not on the surface tho,
just between the treads.. they're not -brand- new, just pretty new).

The Winter Kings are a different story. Only about 60% of the studs are
actually there, and more than half of the ones that are there are totally
ground down to nothingness. And one of the tires has a 1/4" puncture in it
through which you can see the steel belts. I took it to a tire shop and
they refused to fix it.. "it can't be fixed".

Calling all cheapasses- what's the truth here? I'm not doing over 60 mph
on these things (well, maybe 70 if its bare and dry) - is it possible that
another tire place will be willing to make the repair and it will actually
hold?

I also asked if they could re-stud the tires and they said no, the rubber
around the studs wears out so the studs would just come out again. Again,
is this true or a line of bull..? I have little experience with tires, so
help me out here.

I'm not inclined to believe these people right off the bat because they
dove right in to the "you need new tires, pal-ee" sales pitch and tried to
get me to a buy a new pair of snows for $160 (waay over my budget).

TIA,

-Toby