It is done...(well almost)

I think what Larry was aiming to say is that there were only two valves in
the cylinder (as opposed to in the head, where they are when they're
closed) when the piston came up to TDC.  Normally the valves are supposed
to be out of the road by the time that happens... :)

The real drag about the 16V is not that it's an interference engine, but
that the valves come into the combustion chamber on an angle, which means
when they get smacked by the piston, they bend.  At least on the diesels
(you knew it was coming, didn't you?) you generally end up with valve
impressions in the piston tops and nothing more.  Of course, you can also
end up with some spectacular valevtrain damage, including followers
getting driven out of the bore and getting wedged between the cam lobe and
the side of the head...  But on the plus side, the valves always come out
unscathed....:)