How to make your "approach" when buying a VW?

Alright guys, just saw a Rabbit Diesel(didn't state year in ad) in the paper for $250(ad also stated that it needs work). Anyway, I'm hoping to talk this guy down since VW enthusiasts are absolutely NON-existent out here(South Dakota). So heres my question:
1.)Should I show up driving my '83 VW Scirocco, acting like I know all about VW's since I truly do? (will that just make him think he can get more out of me?)
2.)Should I show up in my POS '88 Plymouth Reliant acting like I know nothing about VW's and just need a beater?
3.)Should I show up in a friends '96 Intrepid looking like I'm interested, but have a nice car but don't really need it?
4.)Any other ideas or combinations of the above ideas?
I know a lot of this depends on the seller, but I'm really excited about this! Unfortunately I can only spare $200 though! Thanks for any replys, please make em quick as I'm looking at it pretty soon(haven't set up a time yet).
-Rob