1979 Scirocco GTI German Spec-Lost In Codes

In 1989, one of my ex wives bought an 88 16Valve to replace our/now MY 86
8v because MY son had it at university in Boulder, CA (at that time still
Colorado).
She was lusting after a G60 Corrado when I drove them both (the G60 and
16V) and talked her into the Scriocco 16V, even if it was used with 40K
miles. Find one now like that?)
The 88 16V drive reminded me of our 79 German spec GTI CIS Scirocco (no PS,
no AC, no PW, not even a radio. It was the bare bones Kamikaze version.
Lived to redline at 220KPH - about 127mph all day on the Autobahn. Not
quite so high end, but a lot more torque than the 79 German.)).
Best decision she's ever made, maybe even including me. That's OK. I kept
the 83 911 SC and my son gave me back the ragged out 86 8V when
he  graduated in 1993.

To extend the life of my 86, I believe I'd be quite happy with a 2.0 8V and
the right cam.  A 16V would be even more fun,if I could do it without it
being so unique my youngest son, now 11 years old, or my granddaughters,
couldn't maintain it by the books.
If I were still in Germany, there'd be no question:16V 2.0 liter plus maybe
even that Paxton I was going to put on my 1968 Corvair.