1979 Scirocco GTI German Spec-Lost In Codes

I only recently found your site and, after reading many messages and
receiving wonderful help from many list members about my 86 8V I ordered
new in Germany, I am asking for some reference/help with the engine codes
I've seen recently.
In late 1979, I purchased a Scirocco GTI 110 PS K-Jetronic from my dear
friend Georg Rittersbacher, VAG_Porsche  dealer in Kaiserslautern, Germany
and kept it until a few months after taking delivery of my 86 8V in Dec 1985.
When I sold it in 1986, that 1979 GTI had gone more than 200 thousand
Kilometers and was running better than the day I bought it, after having
spent most of that life at redline on the Autobahn. That's why I bought
another one in 85.

BTW: When new and broken in, the 86 US spec would maintain 120 MPH on
Autobahn level ground with the cruise control managing speed. (Manually.
I've seen 125 on it DOWNHILL-long stretch Autobahn.)

My 86 is still running well but needs a new motor while I'm young enough to
see it through the job. I've studied and played with an 88 16valve and wish
I had one, but want to put new basics in my 86 8 valve (250k MILES) without
a lot of hassle. As an old aircraft technician, complexity doesn't really
bother me, but I want something that is basic block/head/ oriented only. No
specialty external component conversions. Having heard all that's said here
recently, I'm curious as to if anyone knows what the block/head/trans codes
are that apply to an A1 1979 German spec? Are they included in the  8V
upgrade things suggested?
Having read the recent 8V/16V discussions, they only increase my interest
in a 16 valve conversion. But, I love this 86 and would rather tweek it as
an 8v with factory parts to closely match my 79 GTI and maybe a bit beyond.

I still have an elder brother living in Belgium/Nederland and have
previously used him for spares hunts. (Sorry, no orders accepted. There is
a war going on.)

Or, should I just give up this 86  block and find a later 2.0 block/head combo?