VW bus vs Vanagon

Dan Smith wrote:
> Okay, this 81 westie is for sale near my apt for $500.
> there's a late 60s bus that appears to have been abandoned in the same
parking lot.

An air-cooled VW bug was one of my first cars.  It has
to be the simplest thing to work on, although you could
use an extra joint in your arm when changing spark
plugs. The Bus has more room for that.

For character alone, I'd pop for the late 60s bus.  It's
not going to be a daily driver, so its shortcomings
(slow, no heat, poor defroster) wouldn't be much of
an issue (but NY to CO would be a challenge).
On the other hand, an 81 Westie is will also be slow,
(and I'm guessing here) no heat, no defroster. But it
should ride and handle better than the 60s version.

You might want to browse the LiMBO site:
http://bcn.net/~limbo/
Kent