SOT: VW bus vs Vanagon

Okay, this 81 westie is for sale near my apt for $500. No real rust issues, though something is seeping in the engine area (no puddles, just seeping). Inside is decent, headliner is torn and seats are shot, but stove and fridge and mattresses are there. Says it needs brake and exhaust work, though I've only looked at it, not heard it run. I am pretty sure I can snag it for $300. However, there's a late 60s bus that appears to have been abandoned in the same parking lot. I can potentially get it for a little paperwork and like $25. Also has pop-up top, but not sure about interior as it has curtains. A little rusty, mostly surface. That's about all I know about it. Apparently parts are wicked cheap though. I doubt it runs, though the tires aren't soft and there's no puddles or anything so it's not a complete heap. The bus is cool and at the right price so I'm kind of leaning that way. However, I know jack s&%t about any VW besides sciroccos. I'm not mechanically skilled, but I'm slowly
 learning. Are both these vehicles out of my league to work on? Any reason to specifically avoid one or the other? I know there's some aircooled guys out there, I just want to know what I could potentially be dealing with. I travel from CO to NY a few times a year, so a vehicle I can cook and sleep in would totally rock.

TIA,
Dan

Rocc content: Eric and Katy are here so there are now 2 roccs in my lot and a total of 6 in my town. Woohoo!