(ot) car length poll

I don't know, but I think that was covered in an old Twilight Zone ep with Dick Van Dyke.

Julie Macfarlane <juliemac57@hotmail.com> wrote:What are the odds that the coin lands on its side?

Julie Macfarlane
Menlo Park Research & Development
Internet Application Developer
www.menloparkrandd.com
www.montgomeryweb.org
Amsterdam NY

>From: Patrick Bureau
>To: Mike Smith , car
>Subject: Re: (ot) car length poll
>Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:20:10 -0700 (PDT)
>
>no I am correct EACH coin has a 50/50 chance of landing on either side
>now each coin flipped has that chance... individually, therefore the
>chances remains the same, now the rarity that it will happen (all 3 50/50
>flip tosses will land on the same side) is probably less as a combinasion
>yes, but the 50% chance ratio remains constant through out the formula ..
>

>Mike Smith wrote:
>Somehow, I knew you would be answering this one, but I can't believe your
>statement that it's still 50-50. You are saying that 50% of the time, all 3
>coins will land all heads up (or tails up)? Not so. I don't know the
>correct answer, but I know it can't be that. If that were the case, I'd be
>making money off this one in bars.
>
>Mike
>
>Patrick Bureau wrote:
>easy answer, since the odds of a coin flip are 50% heads or tails, there
>fore the possibility of 3 coins landing on either side remains 50%,
>now the odds that all 3 coins land on one common side (heads or tails)
>beleive it or not remains 50% (quantity of coins does not change the odds)
>

>Mike Smith wrote:
>As someone was complaining about no homework, soo...
>
>If you flip a coin, it has a 1/2 probability of landing heads up. If you
>flip 3 coins, what's the probability of all 3 landing heads up? Please
>supply formula as well as answer.
>
>Mike
>

>word (wûrd)
>interj. Slang. Used to express approval or an affirmative response to
>something. Sometimes used with up. Source

>ATS - Patrick Bureau - txrocco@sbcglobal.net
>'85 2.0L Prowler Orange, Kamei X1 Rocco
>'84 1.8L Silver Restoration and '83 Rocco Trailer Project
>

>word (wûrd)
>interj. Slang. Used to express approval or an affirmative response to
>something. Sometimes used with up. Source

>ATS - Patrick Bureau - txrocco@sbcglobal.net
>'85 2.0L Prowler Orange, Kamei X1 Rocco
>'84 1.8L Silver Restoration and '83 Rocco Trailer Project

Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in
enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es