Three heads up [was Re: (ot) car length poll]

                                                         Heads Up
The possible combinations for heads up are:                   0
                                                               1
                                                               2
                                                               3

Why wouldn't the answer be one in 4?

In Patrick's analysis, the 50/50 applies to the probabilities of any *one*
coin being heads up. Thus, when a number of coins are flipped, the
probability that the next *one* would be Heads remains the same,
50/50.   If we take that as a given, then the odds regarding three coins
all being heads should be different.

Now, just to comment on all the theories, I'll look at Jeff's
formula.  First there are four possible results (see above) not
three.  Also, I think his formula (I don't know if it is actually the
correct formula) applies to the number of combinations of the Heads or
Tails  (that is, the ORDER or positions in which the coins appear).  Think
of a slot machine with three different wheels with a T and an H on each
wheel..  The combinations:

         T T T
         T T H
         T H T
         H T T

         H H H
         H H T
         H T H
         T H H

In our example we are not concerned with the order or number of
combinations, except for H H H.

OK, Mike, we have done your homework for you.  Now you can go back to class
and be the teacher's pet.

Chris

         1 1 1
         1 1 2