screaming problem, help! (fixed, with question)

Lacy actually does have a stethoscope (she was an EMT, was part of their standard gear or something and pretty expensive), though it goes nowhere near me. Either way, I sure didn't need anything to amplify the sound, I could hear it quite well. Now however, I can't hear quite as well as before out of my left ear. Imagine sticking your ear over a boiling teapot and you'll have the sound. The problem was that the idle screw and disappeared (YAY to whoever gave me that direction!!!), I happened to have an extra TB to steal one off. For some reason though, it doesn't seem to matter how much I tighten it, the car always idles at about 1k rpm. I screwed it in with my fingers so the head was sticking out a little and it loosened on me, so I screwed it in until the head is almost flush with the TB, still 1000 rpms at idle but now it stays put. Even without the screw at all I was idling around 1.5k. What's up with that?