Q about another rattle..

I know that one of my rattles is the exhaust midpipe hitting the chassis
right where it jumps over the rear axle. I can (or did, a while ago..) see
"fresh metal" rub/scuff marks on both the pipe and the body. It's only
rubbing under acceleration and/or deceleration, though.. I can fit a
finger and a half in the gap between the two spots when the car is
just parked.

I don't know too much about exhaust alignment; what can I do about this? I
have a chain hanger on the downpipe and a vw motorsport rear motor mount
to try and keep the exhaust from moving too much with the engine rocking
front-to-back.

I fabricated the muffler hangers myself (and this is probably the
problem).. I guess I should try re-bending them to lower the muffler
height overall ?

-Toby