[audio] subs & boxes

I have to admit that many of the newer car stereo installs I've heard sound
amazing with just a pair of components and a sub, My mate worked for an
install place for a while.
I think If I was starting  again, I'd go down that route but sadly I don't
have the cash to go down that route (even if I sold all my old kit).
So far my kit consists of:-
Alpine TDA-7556R Tape/Tuner  ?250
Alpine CHA-S634 6 Disc Changer (with MP3 support) ?175
Alpine SWR-304D 12" Sub  ?160
Infinity 1cs 3-Way Component set ?200
Phoenix Gold r5.25" Component set  ?100
Sony XM 504x Amplifier ?150
Sony XM 1002hX Amplifier ?50

Total of ?1085

If I was buying again I'd prob buy:-
Rockford or Nakamichi CD/Tuner  ?300
Diamond Audio Hex Component set  ?350
Diamond Audio TDX 12" Sub ?400
Phoenix Gold 2 Channel Amp ?500
DLS monoblock Amp  ?500

Total of ?2050

Plus I'd spend more on better interconnects, power cap etc

AdamG
'92 Scala 1.8 8v
http://www.geocities.com/little_log

|---------+-------------------------------->
|         |           Vince                |
|         |           <vince@performancecar|
|         |           stereo.com>          |
|         |           Sent by:             |
|         |           scirocco-l-bounces@sc|
|         |           irocco.org           |
|         |                                |
|         |                                |
|         |           28/11/2003 09:45     |
|         |           Please respond to    |
|         |           vince                |
|         |                                |
|---------+-------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       Adam J Garside/UK/Contr/IBM@IBMGB, scirocco-l@scirocco.org                                                  |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  RE: [audio] subs & boxes                                                                                    |
  |                                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                             |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

You're right too Adam (why's everyone so afraid of an argument? what is
this
the whoretex?)

speakers can sound really nice in that location because of how the sound
reflects off the glass.  Also if you have a smaller-than-10" sub in there,
you can get more bass output by putting them on the shelf.  Good job on
building the box and splitting the shelf in half, thats a great solution.
Remember you can always use a thin carpet over the woofers and hide them
completely - it wont affect the sound as long as its the 'audio' carpet.

Personally I don't use any rear speakers at all.  When I go to concerts
there's only 1 band, right in front, theres no extra bands in behind or
anything.   Things are spread out to my left and right and in front - which
is a 'stereo field'.   The music we listen to is recorded in stereo,
left+right, whether its live or studio.  There's no rear channel info
coming
from the source at all.  The preamp in your deck splits the signal to
provide a dual-stereo setup.  What it's there for is the rear passengers.
You'll notice now some cars (esp vw) are aiming the rear tweeters backwards
towards the rear occupants - making them less audible to the front
passengers.    I don't run rear passengers let alone a rear seat and I'm
only interested in a single stereo field so that I can accurately reproduce
what the recording engineer was hearing - I guarantee you he didn't have
any
rear speakers happenin.

It's the same with home stereos.  Many people hook up speakers to the 'b'
channel on their amp and use them as rear speakers in the same room as the
'a' speakers.  The 'b' channel is actually intended as a seperate stereo
field, as in another room.  Having extra speakers in the same room is
giving
up on your stereo field and just going for output.  Then theres the people
who use 'loudness' as a bass boost - but lets not turn this into a huge
rant.

I have a canton 3 way 8-5-1 set up front - I'll be adding a sub later but
with these cantons you hardly need it. I sell high-end, super-tax gear
every
day, and honestly it seems like the more you add the worst it gets.  Even
brand new 10k super-techy speakers lack something compared to an old
mbquart
set, or the old canton set I run.  Simplicity is the key to great sound:
figure out how to mount 2 decent speakers an equal distance from you and to
each other - power them properly with a clean signal source and you're good
to go!  (of course you are limited by your car - so just get as close as
possible).

Vince
alright thats all the change I got