OT: garage heaters

At 08:23 AM 11/25/03 -0800, Anson Clement wrote:

>I'm going to be spending an absolutely enormous amount of time in my
>lovely new garage this winter (much to the chagrin of Shelly) I don't want
>to freeze my balls off out there (that would make shelly quite happy) so I
>need a decent heater. Those fucking salamander/jet engine pieces of shit
>are out, don't even talk to me about them.
>So yeah.. what's the best/cheapest/most nicest/bestust way to heat my garage.
>
>tia
>
>Anson

Don't blame you on the salamanders-too noisy.  I've got a normal kerosene
heater that I start up a 1/2 hour or so before working in the garage in the
winter that does great.  Propane heaters(kind of look like little silver
trash cans)work pretty well from what I 've been told by customers that
purchase them.  Hopefully your wall, ceiling and garage doors are insulated
too or it won't hold that heat well.  And for any one considering building
a garage in a colder climate, seriously consider radiant floor tubing in
the slab.  You don't need to run a furnace as a water heater(oil or
electric) and a circulator will heat it fine.  My father-in-law's seperate
from the house garage is 28x 40 with 14' ceilings and is heated this way
and it's great to work in.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.
'89 Polaris Indy Deluxe