Scirocco-l Digest, Vol 7, Issue 23

> I'm trying to decide between swapping to digi 1 and swapping to MS for my turbo projects. Here's my pros and cons list. Votes with reasoning one way or another would be much appreciated.
> Pros- digi
> easy swap
> no real tuning to mess with
>
> Cons-
> more expensive
> more crap in the engine bay
> not customizable

I don't know much about MS (yet), but I can tell you a lot about
Digifant I.

First off, I'm not sure why there would be "more crap" in the engine bay
with Digifant vs. MS. Digi-I is just a black box with sensors. Just like
MS. What's the difference? I don't you will find much difference
regarding physical installation difficulty or engine bay clutter at all.
In fact, Digi should probably have LESS clutter since the same box
controls ignition. And if MS won't use OEM VW sensors (I don't know, but
some standalone systems won't) then you've got to factor in how you will
mount GM sensors or whatever.

As far as tuning, nearly all Digi-I chips are burned with software for a
stock Corrado G60. If you do not have a stock Corrado G60 (or something
close to one), and you cannot find an aftermarket chip that has been
written for your setup, you will MOST DEFINITELY have to do tuning!
Especially if you intend to run a bigger FPR, bigger injectors, etc.

With Digi-I, SNS Tuning is basically your only choice for non-G60 chips.
They have quite a number of them available for various setups ranging
from mildly tuned 8v G60s to 250whp 16v turbos. Give Danny or Sam a
call.

However, they seem to be less interested in doing one-off custom tuning
these days. A few months ago, they were working on base maps for 42#
injectors for me and a couple other people. They used to be awesome
about being willing to let people bring their cars to Atlanta, where
they would go to the dyno with you and tweak the maps. But they seem to
have recently become less interested in doing all that. SNS Tuning was
always a "just for fun" thing for them...it isn't really even a
"business" and they never made any money. So I can't be mad at them if
they decided they aren't having fun any more and don't want to tune my
car. But in my case, my 30# injectors are maxed out and it is killing my
top-end. I need to go bigger. If SNS isn't interested in cutting me a
chip, I'll have to go standalone. :(

And for the record, dyno tuning is the ONLY way to *properly* tune a
car. Anything else is just guessing...whether you run Digi or MS! But
most people are happy with butt-dyno tuning. And you can actually get
fairly close to ideal if you permanently install a wide-band O2...but
that's more expensive than the whole MS setup!

Oh, and a knock sensor can/will SAVE YOUR A$$. Especially in a
forced-induction or nitrous engine. If the ignition will read a KS and
retard timing, that's probably enough. But I wouldn't suggest running
completely without one.

Digifant is great, and not much more expensive than a pre-built MS
system, especially if you consider you'll need MSD or something to go
with the MS. And it will work fine if you can find a chip for your
setup. If you want to go Digi, I might have a full system for sale
soon...

--
Neal Tovsen
'77 Scirocco G60