Mk I Scirocco for sale in ATL

Well folks, I may have joined this list too soon. I just returned to my home in Rock Hill, SC from Atlanta where I went in hopes of buying a 1978 Scirocco. When I first saw the ad at www.collectorcartraderonline.com I noticed that the sellers asking price was $1,500 and that it needed cosmetics only. In the photo the car looked OK but when I arrived this afternoon I saw that the car was in rough, black primer with one medium sized dent in the front, left fender and a bit of rust in the left rear quarter panel behind the rub-strip. Both front seats have a chunk of foam missing. The A/C control knobs are broken off. The A/C doesn't work. The headliner is fine and so is the back seat. The front left turn signal lense in broken (he told me it was cracked). The good news was that the 1.6 sounds great with 176,000 miles on the odometer. The seller has installed a new radiator, brakes, tires and exhaust system.

It is a two owner car, but this Scirocco has gone through two college students (the seller's children). The original owner installed a "Scirocco" name plate where the rear license plate normally would be placed.

The car seems to be sound, but it would just be another project that I don't need. The seller offered to let it go for $1,000. I was hoping for a $1,500 VW that was nicer than the one I have now. I already have a thousand dollar car that I have put that much in. So, I decided to take my $1,000 and invest it in my 1987 Cabriolet.

If anyone out there is looking for a not too dificult Scirocco project, this car might fit the bill.

-Michael