OT: ATTN: Jason Cameesa/ importing a rallye golf

If you think that importing an absurdly rare car into the US and then
using it as anything remotely similar to a daily-driver is somehow going
to be cheaper or easier than buying an Evo, you might want to do the
math.

And if you live in an area with snow/salt, don't forget to add in the
medical bills you'll incur when the rest of us VW enthusiasts find out
your ruining this car by driving it in the salt!

The initial cost of the car is certainly a good bit less than a $28k
Evo, but nearly all of the body panels, all of the drivetrain, and about
half the interior are RARE. MEGA RARE. As in, "simply not available in
this hemisphere." And you're damn lucky if you find any parts you need
in the other one. Heck, even the parts that are shared with the Corrado
G60 are getting harder and more expensive to find (check my sig if you
don't think I should know).

Don't get me wrong. Rallye Golf's are DAMN COOL. I'd just about trade my
Subaru for one if I had something else to make sure I got to work and
back. Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

Oh, and don't get an Evo. Fun car and all, but you'd have to deal with
Mitsu dealers and Mitsu quality. GET A SUBARU!!! Or at least an R32.
Sorry...can't help if I'm a little biased. <grin>

BTW, it is way too easy to get hooked on the turbo-all-wheel-drive
thing. So much fun! And if you get a Rallye, I'd be happy to trade keys
for a few hours!

(Just thought of this: If you want a unique AWD car with real
performance potential...one that is rare but not completely
un-maintainable, get a Mazda 323 GTX. Only something like 1600 in the US
originally. Fantastic car...just be gentile on the tranny)

Neal
'77 Scirocco G60
'04 WRX STi
'98 Sierra 1500