cold weather battery problems

Thanks to all that responded..

I pulled the battery and was gonna hook it up to the charger but decided
to check the electrolyte levels. I added about 4 1/2 ounces of water among
all six cells; I don't know why the water was low. Last time I checked it
about 8 months ago it was fine.

My regulator is fine and is adjusted to 14.2 volts, so it shouldn't be
overcharging. The only thing I can think of is that its such a dry climate
here (10% humidity during the summer) that it just evaporated. The battery
caps don't seal 100% so that must be it.

Still a surprise, though.. the plates looked like they were still
submerged but just /barely/.

The battery is a "Kirkland Signature" 610 CCA (760 @ 32 F) and is 31
months old.

I let it sit about 30 minutes to try to let it warm up a bit (it -is- 20 F
outside) then put it on the charger at the 2 amp setting. The ammeter on
the charger is reading 3.7 amps.

Hopefully it's not dead; if I'd been about 7 months quicker I would have
been within the 24 month free replacement warranty period.

-Toby