OBD1 & OBD2

>VAG-com is a low cost solution, some guys in South Africa were able
>to figure out the comms.
>Can't remember who sells it - a search will tell.  IIRC it's under $300.
>
>Ron

I actually own one of those systems, which is a small hardware plug block with
a serial cable.  The software runs great on an old pc laptop.  Cost
about $300ish
total with the converter for the older style 2L 16v motronic type connectors.
It's an absolute necessity when trying to diagnose problems on the
newer cars and
is interesting when used on the older cars.

Funny, I was just looking for the dataport on our new '03 Passat 1.8t wagen,
and it doesn't seem to be in the same place as it was on the '00...

==Brett