Water on floor?

check your windshield seal...this is easiest if you have someone on the
outside with a hose pour water around the windshield seal area while you
look around under the dash with a lamp or flashlight to find where the
water is leaking in.
Its a common problem on old mk1's...we had  4 days of good rain in Toronto
and I found the rear carpet on my 75 Rabbit under 4 inches of water! (only
on the driverside)
Easiest rememdy is to either raplce the seal (if it is hard and brittle)
or silicone the windshield up...if you find this to be the case I can give
you tips on how to silicone it the right way.  Keep in mind that with
respect to the windshield, water can eaither leak between the seal and the
windshield, or between the sela and the body of the car.

sandor