Clutch Woes...

Good idea, but I don't think so here...  I will double check...

David

Quoting "T. Reed" <treed2@wsu.edu>:

> Oh yeah, I left out one:
> - bad crank thrust bearing.. but that would most likely be accompanied by
>   some grinding noises.
>
> -Toby
>
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, T. Reed wrote:
>
> > David,
> >
> > You should be looking for one of the following:
> > - bad (broken) clutch cable
> > - broken clutch finger lever inside 5th gear housing
> > - a pushrod-sized hole in the release plate
> > - broken metal thing on the firewall that holds the clutch cable
> > - backed out pressure plate bolts
> >
> > Less likely (but still possible) culprits:
> > - busted throwout bearing
> > - autoadjust cable that stopped wanted to adjust
> > - some sort of failure in the pedal cluster
> > - backed up flywheel bolts
> > - mechanical interference at the clutch lever on the otuside of the tranny
> >
> > Aside from these failures I can't think of any other possible cause.
> >
> > -Toby
> >
> > On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, David Utley wrote:
> >
> > > Well,
> > >    I need to draw upon the collective experience of the group, and NO,
> it
> > > has nothing to do with balancing
.  :-)

> > >    While driving a friends 82 VW pickup (gas), I was accelerating on the
> > > highway when all of the sudden, I heard a grinding coming from the
> tranny

> > > I pushed down the clutch, and it stayed there, and it popped out of gear
> at
> > > the same time
  Now that I am rolling, and with no pedal, I cannot engage
> > > gear at all
  I coast to a stop, and get out and look under the hood,
> > > thinking the clutch cable is kaput
  Nope, it is still there, no
> problems

> > > Well, I can get it in gear with the truck off, start it, and limp it
> home

> > > If I start in 2nd, I can eventually get any other gear while rolling if
> > > get the rpm right
  Once home, I notice there is a lot of slack in the
> > > cable, so I adjust that out
  No change, I still can not engage a gear,
> > > unless the truck is not running
  SO, I took it apart this evening,
> thinking
> > > the cast steel finger that actuates the T/O bearing behind the green cap
> is
> > > bad
  Nope, just fine
  What in the hell is wrong with this thing?

> > > Just for the record, I was farting-around when this broke, and the truck
> has
> > > been through more tough driving than Nina Hartley
  The tranny is an FF
> > > code, the engine is a 1.8 9.5 to 1 motor with stock CIS, if it matters
> > > (which it shouldn?t)

> > > Any and all ideas are MOST welcome
  I would like to fix this before my
> > > friend returns
  It is one thing to break it, and have it broken when he