Clutch Woes...

Thanks, I will check that...  In fact, I have the tranny all but off the
motor, I figured it had to be in the stinking bell-housing...  :-(

David

Quoting "W.Hawker" <willhawk@shaw.ca>:

> I would suspect the clutch pressure plate (broken "finger" spring), or
> even flywheel. Had a similar problem, when the flywheel bolts started
> to back out. Using the clutch had no effect and the noise you described
> sounds similar.  Only other thing that comes to mind is a bent push
> rod, but sounds strange it  would suddenly go like that. If you pull
> the starter, you can have a look at the flywheel through the hole and
> see if it is loose or any of the bolts are hitting the bell housing
> (look for metal shavings)
>
> Bill Hawker
> 82 Scirocco
> 83 Rabittit GTi
>
> On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 12:13  AM, David Utley wrote:
>
> > Well,
> >    I need to draw upon the collective experience of the group, and NO,
> > it
> > has nothing to do with balancing
.  :-)

> >    While driving a friends 82 VW pickup (gas), I was accelerating on
> > the
> > highway when all of the sudden, I heard a grinding coming from the
> > tranny

> > I pushed down the clutch, and it stayed there, and it popped out of
> > gear at
> > the same time
  Now that I am rolling, and with no pedal, I cannot
> > engage a
> > gear at all
  I coast to a stop, and get out and look under the hood,
> > thinking the clutch cable is kaput
  Nope, it is still there, no
> > problems

> > Well, I can get it in gear with the truck off, start it, and limp it
> > home

> > If I start in 2nd, I can eventually get any other gear while rolling
> > if I
> > get the rpm right
  Once home, I notice there is a lot of slack in the
> > cable, so I adjust that out
  No change, I still can not engage a gear,
> > unless the truck is not running
  SO, I took it apart this evening,
> > thinking
> > the cast steel finger that actuates the T/O bearing behind the green
> > cap is
> > bad
  Nope, just fine
  What in the hell is wrong with this thing?

> > Just for the record, I was farting-around when this broke, and the
> > truck has
> > been through more tough driving than Nina Hartley
  The tranny is an FF
> > code, the engine is a 1.8 9.5 to 1 motor with stock CIS, if it matters
> > (which it shouldn?t)

> > Any and all ideas are MOST welcome
  I would like to fix this before my
> > friend returns
  It is one thing to break it, and have it broken when