Clutch Woes...

I would suspect the clutch pressure plate (broken "finger" spring), or
even flywheel. Had a similar problem, when the flywheel bolts started
to back out. Using the clutch had no effect and the noise you described
sounds similar.  Only other thing that comes to mind is a bent push
rod, but sounds strange it  would suddenly go like that. If you pull
the starter, you can have a look at the flywheel through the hole and
see if it is loose or any of the bolts are hitting the bell housing
(look for metal shavings)

Bill Hawker
82 Scirocco
83 Rabittit GTi