Should plug gap increase with performance?

Also, it should be known that Jacobs Ignitions use ignition wires/spark plugs
as a measure of resistance for each cylinder...  They ask for you to increase
the gap to give the computer in the coil the time to decide how much spark, or
how long a duration (cannot remember which) to send...  So while it definately
has increased spark ability, that is not the only reason you do so with that
brand ignition...

Just for clarification...

David