ran out of oil.

If I were you, I would do an oil change with the following...

1 qt. Rislone
4 qts teh brand you normally use
1 factory oil filter
Full tank supreme (91 or higher)...

Drain the oil, put in the oil/additives mentioned, go drive it hard...

I had this happen some years ago...  I tried this and it slowly began to
help...  I can only guess that with less oil circulating, the oil cooked
itself, coked up the passages a bit...  The more I ran it, the better it
got...  Do keep an eye on the oil level thereafter, not only because of your
leak, but because the engine will consume the Rislone...  Great stuff, been
around for more than 70 years...

HTH

David