lightened flywheel info

I had mine done recently. They took mine down to 3 kg and balanced it for GBP 50 all in. Massive difference except that my 8v (which revs out to 7700rpm incidentally - gasflowed/Shrick mnay toys etc) when cold will stall when blipping the throttle due to not enough inertia. Once it has warmed slightly (2 mins at fast idle) shes fine.

Just my tuppence

Ron Pieper <rapieper@yahoo.com> wrote:
Welll...I lightened mine...(back when I had access to a decent sized lathe). ID chucked it,
shimmed a little for minimum axial runout, and just gently faced the ring off. Took a bazillion
light cuts but I wasn't in the mood to throw the flywheel off the chuck. Had it balanced for $50
(more than I should have paid, but these guys sometimes have never heard that VW makes watercooled
engines, so they just hafta charge more). Weighed roughly 8.5lbs, IIRC.

So yes, a competent machine shop with a big enough lathe *can* do it...

HTH

Ron