lightened flywheel info

Welll...I lightened mine...(back when I had access to a decent sized lathe).  ID chucked it,
shimmed a little for minimum axial runout, and just gently faced the ring off.  Took a bazillion
light cuts but I wasn't in the mood to throw the flywheel off the chuck.  Had it balanced for $50
(more than I should have paid, but these guys sometimes have never heard that VW makes watercooled
engines, so they just hafta charge more).  Weighed roughly 8.5lbs, IIRC.

So yes, a competent machine shop with a big enough lathe *can* do it...

HTH

Ron