Might "HAVE" to convert to rear discs - need refresher

--- Jeff Toomasson <jtoomasson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hope everyone had a great weekend!
>
> While pulling the JH from my cabby in prep for the
> 2L 16v, we managed to pinch and crack the rear
> passenger brake line right before the proportioning
> valve. Obviously, it has to be repaired, but the M/C
> in the cabby had acted up once or twice prior to
> going under the knife. So I figured this would be
> the best time to upgrade - especially with the
> engine out...
>
> I kept the 16v rear disc setup virtually complete
> from when we parted my 16v (including pedal cluster
> but sans e-brake cables).
>
> My questions are really based on the sparse bits of
> this topic I've "retained" :
>
> 1)  do I need to keep the pedal cluster paired with
> the 16v M/C?  (Cabby is an '84.5)
>
> 2) should I replace the proportioning valves?
> (Tobias had difficulty locating them through the
> obvious channels when he as looking). If someone
> could remind me what they do for the brakes they
> affect, I would definitely appreciate it!
>
> 3) will the e-brake cables from the cabby require
> replacement just as the drum setup does in other
> rocs?  If so, which units do I replace them with?
>
> Thanks in advance!  Jeff

Don't know everything but here goes:

- There are two basic issues with the M/C to pedal as
a set swap: One is the brake light switch (early
models have pressure switches on the M/C itself, later
units used a mechanical switch on the pedal cluster.)
THe other is the length of the rod that actually
pushes on the M/C.

- Proportioning valves keep the back end from locking
up prematurely. You should go to the VW Vortex and
start poking around in the Brake forum. A guy named
Racer X seems to do good stuff with hybrid brakes
swaps.

- I don't know which e-brake cables will fit but want
to advise you buy new one when doing this, and buy
them together as a pair.

hth,
TBerk