Tachometer input signal... CONCLUSION.

Apparently the VW tach (on pre-ODB II cars, say 95 and earlier) expects a
high voltage spike somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 to 300 volts from
the "low" side of the coil.  Hence products like this "tach adapter" that
artificially produce the needed spike:

http://www.msdignition.com/fuel_10.htm

The only thing I could get to work was combining the signal from both coils.
This requires using diodes (part #1N4005) to isolate the coils from each
other, as they fire 180 degrees out of phase.  The previous diagram I wasn't
workable because the ECU ignition outputs drive amplifiers, not the coils
directly.  My wiring looks like this:

                         DIODE
[COIL-1/4 neg terminal]------>|-----\___________ Tach Input
[COIL-2/3 neg terminal]------>|-----/
                         DIODE

It's just a PITA to have to Y those together and run and extra wire in from
the engine compartment, but at least it works.

Bradley
88 S16V 2.0 EFI
02 S4 Avant Biturbo

---