Tire choice for teardrops

<snip Ken>
I am looking at a decent autocross/street application.  would 195/55 be a
good configuration?  A little lower, a little wider and the Dunlop SP Sport
8000 are about $75 and they are about the cheapest, uh, least expensive for
that size on TireRack but still ist as "ultra high performance".
<end snip>

I've been running the 8000's on my 16v teardrops for a few years now.  I
can't speak to autocross, but I like their feel on the street.  The car
grips in the corners and tire noise isn't excessive.  Overall, a good cross
between performance and comfort.  They do seem to wear quickly, but I don't
put high annual mileage on my car.  I got around 4-5 years out of them,
probably about 30k miles.  As for the "ultra high performance" aspect, I'd
argue that our cars don't meet that description, so it doesn't matter if our
tires do.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II