what should i do? (motor guru's wanted) *long*

Paul...
  First of all, sorry to hear about this.  I can totally relate.
Fortunately my new 2.0 in the mk1 is running now... and seems to
be ok this time around.

  I would agree with Chris on the main bearings... I would NOT
recommend using the one-piece design.  This was designed for old
people who have soft clutches and don't drive their cars hard.
Think about it... a stiff clutch and hard shifting applies quite a
load on the thrust washers.  With the one-piece design, when
that load is applied, the center section of the bearing tends to
want to move with the thrust portion of the bearing and the bearing
will wear prematurely... just not a good design IMO.

Mike Potter recommended to me to use the separate thrust washers
and bearings.  He said that this is the best idea for anyone who
will be driving the car aggressively... and with all the years
he has been racing and such, I trust that he knows best.

Just my $.02

Hope you get it running soon!

Ben