bottom end inspection...

>I'm with Dan on this one. I doubt it would even run if the thrust bearing
>was worn down to the cap.

i took some pictures today when everything was off, but i left the camera
at work.

it's quite the odd thing. generally from what i've been hearing, there's
apparently a 3 pc bearing kit. this is not what i have. i have a one piece
bearing that fold over the edges of the bearing cap. i've heard talk of another
style where there is one piece in the middle and two kinda like half moon
washers that go on the side.

here's (at least my theory is on) what happened,

one side of the bearing and bearing cap are in perfect condition (the side
facing crank pulley)
the other side look like the bearing gave way (side facing clutch) probably
because of loose
tolerances. having my foot on the clutch pushing the pressure plate in
and out, would move the crank in and out. it must of just finally
given out. so by it moving all the time, the crank wore on the side of the
bearing cap, eating through the edges that the bearing folded over on the
sides. there was play in that motor from day one (last year) probably from
not having any thrust washers there at all.

if my information about those bearings are correct, then i did not have
them on my motor because they weren't there. even the name on the bearing
in the
bearing cap is some bullshit wack probably made taiwanese cheapy.

i should of made sure the shop who built it would use choice german bearings,
but i figured that they would of know to. i called the motor guy and he's
gonna
come by and see it either tommorow or the day after.

i told this guy in french (because he's a french canadian) that i was going
to kill him, he thought i was joking.

but once again, the scirocco list because a reliable source to get information
on this. everyone i've consulted locally is useless.

ho-ray!

paul