bottom end inspection...

I'm not really clear on what the bearing shell looks like from this
description.
Also, not clear what's wrong with the bearing cap.

Since, you haven't done crank work before are you sure that the bearing cap
is damaged?

Can you give a better description? or can you have somebody that's familiar
with these parts take a look? or post some pictures?
Hate to see you go to all the work of pulling the engine before making sure
that the bearing cap and crank are really damaged.

One note is, if the crank bearing surfaces are smooth and not grooved then
the crank is probably not damaged.
Also, i've never seen a damaged bearing cap. You would have to have worn the
bearing shell entirely away before the crank could contact and damage the
bearing cap.

Maybe I'm not understanding your description, but it seems unlikely you'd
have all this damage without having some massive knocking/grinding noises to
go with it and a pile of metal particles.
Dan