[Re: [Blown Engine question...]]

I've heard of quite a few (on 16Vs), actually saw one repaired a few mont=
hs
back. But my nephew's 1.9 TD had his go too so it does happen the the TDs=
 as
well.
Power's going off!!
Cathy

Eric S <scirocco81@vwmail.net> wrote:
> Cathy,
> =

> This keyway problem.....I personally believe it is a 16v problem only..=
=2EI
haven't heard of any 8v guys experiencing this...has any 8v guy here had =
their
crank keyway break?
> =

> My theory is, the added stress of the 8 extra valves and extra cam and =
cam
chain is too much stress on the timing belt and keyway...
> =

> I'd only expect a diesel 8v to experience this, if any 8v has (added st=
ress
on the timing belt from the injection pump).
> =

> --
> Eric
> www.VintageWatercooleds.com
> =

> 79 VW Iltis
> 81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
> 81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)
> 83 Scirocco Wolfsburg
> 91 Cabriolet (2.0 Crossflow 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)=

> =

> =

> --- Cathy Boyko <losinit@usa.net> wrote:
> >Obviously oil figures prominently. I killed a 350 back in the day when=
 the
oil
> >pump stopped working, lots of oil in it, valves got noisy, then it die=
(no
> >kidding eh?). Siezed piston, snapped connecting rod. (I was running a =
guy
at a
> >light too!) It got an oil pressure guage after that. As for ours, not =
total
> >write off, but serious, is the ever popular crank keyway problem (this=

gives
> >what is best described as "continuously variable timing", but not in a=

good
> >way.) That's what lead to my only two new engines.
> >Cathy
> >1987 2L 16V "the silver headache"
> >1980 running parts car
> >looking for Rocc #3
> >
> >Cory Langford <corylang@dccnet.com> wrote:
> >> =

> >> =

> >> I have seen a number of listers having real troubles with their engi=
nes
> >> over the last year.  Thrown rods, broken cranks, broken wrist pins, =
etc,
> >etc.
> >> =

> >> Having only ever taken out a head gasket. I figure it might be time =
get