Subject: Re: 16v over heating

Thought I'd add my 2 cents about 16V cooling since i have one, and made
some changes to help.  When i bought it in Atlanta GA -- it's quite HOT
there  -- it knocked and pinged when driven in a sporting way.  What i
did was replace the fan switch with a lower temp unit, flushed the
cooling system, added Redline WaterWetter (it works!), and changed the
engine oil to full synthetic, plus the lower temp theremostat. A lot of
changes, but it helped!

One intersting note, if you do these changes andyour car still pings ( I
run 2-3 degrees more advance than stock to help with torque), consider
replacing the sparkplug wires-- you can tell by either measuring the
resistance in K/Ohms as specified or if it's pitch black dark, run the
car and actuate the throttle while looking at the wires-- goose the
engine to full throttle for 1-2 seconds. If you see sparks from the
wires, they're old and need to be replaced. The performance wires are
about the same as OE...hint, hint.

If in cold weather, i would NOT recommend the shadetree idea of drilling
out the T-stat, however effective if may be-- it might help the symptom,
but it does nothing to solve the cause.
GF
Mk1 turbo Scirocco
3.0 V6 Alfa Romeo
Mk2 16V Scirocco

Drill 2 or 3 small holes in the thermo-stat so that it constantly lets
water by.  It won't be enough to effect temps, but it will be enough to
burp the system.

William