Aftermarket wheels in the stock spare location / MK1

What kind of size limits are there to fitting a bigger wheel in the spare
"hole"  Seems like if you are "plus 1 or 2" then the diameter would be real
close even though the tread width would make the tire too "tall" back there
when laying down in the spaer tire well..  I imagine a clever false floor
raising the level of the whole area behind the rear seat about an inch could
make it look pretty nice.
Going from the stock 175/70/13 that the spare location is made for (I think
I got that right) to a modest upgrade of 195/50/15  diameter stays almost
exactly the same and tire width increases just under an inch.
What have people "gotten away with" back there?
Ken
1979 Scirocco 16V -  Almost done
81 Deisel P/U - Rescued from neglegent PO
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"