Aftermarket wheels in the stock spare location / MK1

Ken B wrote:

> What kind of size limits are there to fitting a bigger wheel in the spare
> "hole"  Seems like if you are "plus 1 or 2" then the diameter would be real
> close even though the tread width would make the tire too "tall" back there
> when laying down in the spaer tire well..  I imagine a clever false floor
> raising the level of the whole area behind the rear seat about an inch could
> make it look pretty nice.
> Going from the stock 175/70/13 that the spare location is made for (I think
> I got that right) to a modest upgrade of 195/50/15  diameter stays almost
> exactly the same and tire width increases just under an inch.
> What have people "gotten away with" back there?
> Ken

My Roc (Mk1) came with 205 Falkens on 13" rims. I didn't _have_
anything in the back but some funky thin-a** carpet. I later got some
195 wide tires (a set of four) but the spare is in any case still too
tall (I mean WIDE) for the false floor I built from hardened masonite
and 'gray fuzzy' industrial speaker covering.

To make it just right I'd need to make some spacers for anything over
a stock tire. As it is it sits right across the rubber and it doesn't
make any noise that way.

A better answer to your question would be to get out the ruler,
measure the depth and convert to MM.

TBerk
Still locked out.