From: "Joe Doty" <Joe.Doty@lcnetwork.com>
To: "0sciroccolist" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 3:48 PM
Subject: Facing a change in scirocco situation [long]

I think I'm getting old.  For the last few months I've been thinking
about how nice it would be to have a car that runs perfectly and gets
great gas mileage, and only breaks every couple of months rather than
days.

This is all prompted by my stupidity and laziness, mainly that of me
blowing the 2nd engine in the turbo car (sounds like a cracked piston
again).  I suspect this was caused again by a poor tuning (Digifant I),
91 octane, and 9.2:1 compression.  Note to self: DO NOT TURBO YOUR DAILY
DRIVER.  I just can't put forth thousands of dollars to get a fast car
put together.  There's nowhere to autox here either, and I sure as hell
am not going to drag race it.  Yeah, let's patch it together every
weekend so I can destroy it for a piece of paper with a number on it,
worth nothing but bragging rights.  Damn that noise.

Also, I miss the way my car was with the 2 liter.  Nice and torquey,
surprised and beat the hell out of a lot of people.  Easy to work on, no
unnecessary crap, start and ran like it was brand new, 30 mpg, no oil
leaks at all.  When I think about this car, all that comes to mind is
the hacked together exhaust rubbing on the axle, the pinging, the
fouling out rich on the freeway, and the one-wheel peel of glory.  I
want the old days where I'd look at the car and smile.  It used to be
pretty clean for $50.  And I'd remember the times where the silly Honda
kiddies would ask me what kind of car that is after I whooped their ass.
"It's a what? Is it turbo?" Nope.  Well, at least that's how it should
have stayed.

I simply do not have the time or desire to be under my car every weekend
hacking exhaust, tracing transmission leaks, doing clutch jobs, swapping
tires, and the like, just to get to work on Monday.  I like making cars
fast, but there's too much maintenance time and not enough happy time.

"I've been seeing someone else": mountain biking has become my new
pastime.  Bikes are so much cheaper to maintain than even VWs, it's
silly.  Dollar for enjoyment value, bikes win for me.

So now I'm temporarily putting the '88 into retirement and will be
driving the '79 daily.  I'm not sure what's going to happen to it, but
I'd like to swap it back to the crappy, always starting, always working,
30+ mpg getting, simple CIS.  It will be a mighty sweet reunion.  That
being said, I have a new appreciation for well-maintenanced, near-stock
cars.

Joe Doty
IT/Development
joe@lcnetwork.com