Replacing sunroof

Denise F wrote:

> Hello to all Scirocco lovers,
>
> I own a 1986 Karmann edition, 4-cylinder, black Scirocco.
> I would like to replace the broken sunroof with a removable, see- through
> one (I think they are called moonroofs). Is this feasible?
>
> Denise in Hull, Quebec
> '86 Sci
>
> _________

Yes, but I have another idea before you hack the roof.

btw- ALL Sciroccos were built via the Karmann Coachworks, it's not a
special Karmann Edition as such, (as in- not like the early Champagne
Editions or the later Wolfsburg Edition Golf/Jettas were limited
editions).

The difference is the 16v would have a 16v badge there instead,  think
some other editions replaced the Karmann badge with something else
also.

Now, as to the replacing of the stock, metal roof with a see through
moonroof I can say this:

1. There might well be an Audi replacement that is the exact size to
fit without cutting sheet metal. See next.

2. Fixing whatever is broken in your existing sunroof is recommended,
ask us for help with what your symptoms are and we have some
experienced sunroof fixin folks to answer.

3. Taking it to a reputable local shop will find they can just cut
<shudder> the roof to fit an aftermarket moonroof to suit your tastes.
I caution this as a hopefully well planned out, but regretfully last
resort type of option.

Anything is feasible, cash comes into play as does force of
convictions.

hth,
TBerk