interesting coolant stuff

--=====================_-843861953==_.ALT

But then so are some of our projects, eh?
-RGK-

At 04:48 PM 3/24/2003 -0500, Allyn wrote:
>yeah, i tried that stuff, expensive as hell though, like $25 for a small
>container of the stuff. it may have worked, but the price is a bit insane.
>Al

--=====================_-843861953==_.ALT

But then so are some of our projects, eh?<br>
-RGK-<br><br>
At 04:48 PM 3/24/2003 -0500, Allyn wrote:<br>
tried that stuff, expensive as hell though, like $25 for a small
container of the stuff. it may have worked, but the price is a bit
insane.</font><br>
&nbsp;
<dl>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:scirocco-al@insight.rr.com";>Alan
Stamper</a>
<dd>To:</b> <a href="mailto:sad_rocc@yahoo.com";>Dan Smith</a> ;
<dd>Sent:</b> Monday, March 24, 2003 4:04 PM
<dd>Jegg's sells stuff called 40 below that is somewhat like water
wetter.&nbsp; It has a real odd smell to.&nbsp; I had it in my car about
4 years ago, but then drained it out for the winter.&nbsp; I could still
smell the fumes last year when I had the hood open and the car
running.</font>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:sad_rocc@yahoo.com";>Dan Smith</a>
<dd>To:</b> <a href="mailto:rfkellner@snet.net";>rfkellner@snet.net</a> ;
<dd>Sent:</b> Monday, March 24, 2003 1:20 PM

<dd>Water Wetter is great stuff if you're going to go without
anti-freeze. If you do go with anti-freeze, most Saab experts/mechanics
swear by the Mercedes brand anti-freeze. Doesn't pit engines at all,
doesn't eat seals or do any bad stuff. There's a comparision that one
master mechanic does but I can't seem to find the page. It was enough to
convince me to go with the mercedes stuff if I was concerned about that
kind of thing. <br><br>

<dd>&nbsp;&quot;rfkellner@snet.net&quot;
&lt;rfkellner@snet.net&gt;</i></b> wrote:
<dd>It seems like we have run the full gamut of coolant opinions. From
<dd>straight H2O to never use the green to never use the pink/orange.
Can
<dd>anyone point to some industry papers or independent
studies?<br><br>

<dd>Also, for someone that wants to run straight H2O aren’t there plain
<dd>additives to inhibit corrosion? If so, what is in these products?

<dd>Original Message:
<dd>-----------------
<dd>From: ian Butler ian@bluemoon.hplx.net
<dd>Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:03:55 -0500 (EST)
<dd>To: tberk@mindspring.com, scirocco-l@scirocco.org

<dd>&gt; It's SILICA that is abrasive in old style coolant, it rubs seal
<dd>&gt; death and is prob. the main cause (right up there with stiff
belts

<dd>&gt;! ; Check the label of the orange stuff next time; silica free.
Prob.
<dd>&gt; partly the reason the orange stuff seems to creep out around
hoses and

<dd>I believe Dex and other long-life coolants have special detergents
that,
<dd>more or less like synthetic, have a tendency to &quot;clean things
up&quot;, which can
<dd>involve removing gunk that's keeping the system from
leaking.<br><br>

<dd>More importantly, though, green antifreeze contains phosphates, and
<dd>phosphates eat aluminum. It's not a big deal in inline cars like
<dd>Sciroccos, but it's a *huge* deal in Vanagons, where coolant sits in
the
<dd>heads, seeps under the gaskets, and pits/rusts its way right through
to the
<dd>ground. Such a serious and expensive problem on those that a lot of
<dd>prospective Vanagon buyers won't touch a bus with green coolant in
it.<br><br>

<dd>It hasn't concerned me enough to immediately replace the green
coolant in my
<dd>'roc (not that I've had the stupid thing since! November anyway..
grumble)
<dd>but it's about due for a flush, and it'll get Dex when I fill it
again.
<dd>&gt; btw- Yep, water conducts better than coolant, 70/30 water to
coolant

<dd>I believe 70/30 is minimum and 30/70 is maximum. Supposedly if you go
above
<dd>30/70, the hot light says &quot;Hello, too much antifreeze!&quot; but
I haven't

<dd>ian Butler / ian@bluemoon.hplx.net

</dl><br>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
Platinum</a> - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness,
on your desktop</a>! <br>