8V starter in a 16V motor?

--part1_de.3618a05b.2baf4324_boundary

I've got a starter problem with my '87 Scirocco 16V. Fresh battery, turn the
key, nothing but a click at the starter. I then circumvented the battery
cables from the battery to the starter. Using jumper cables (as in a jump
start from another car), I put the positive on the starter (positive
terminal) and then the ground all over the place including the block. I was
then able to get the starter to move but only for a few cranks then nothing -
it just dies as if it ran out of juice. As a result, per Bentley, on a slowly
or non turning starter, I suspect the starter. My question is, can I get away
with swapping in a 8V starter say from an A1 or A2 in to save a few bucks. I,
in the past, have only used Bosch Remanufactured starters when it came to
replacing them in my daily driver. However, I'm just trying to get this
project running.

Thanks,

Jim
91 Jetta Gli 16V, 87 Scirocco 16V, 84 Rabbit Gti Callaway Project
http://members.aol.com/jlpawlicki

--part1_de.3618a05b.2baf4324_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#ffffff"><FONT  SIZE=3D2=
>I've got a starter problem with my '87 Scirocco 16V. Fresh battery, turn th=
e key, nothing but a click at the starter. I then circumvented the battery c=
ables from the battery to the starter. Using jumper cables (as in a jump sta=
rt from another car), I put the positive on the starter (positive terminal)=20=
and then the ground all over the place including the block. I was then able=20=
to get the starter to move but only for a few cranks then nothing - it just=20=
dies as if it ran out of juice. As a result, per Bentley, on a slowly or non=
 turning starter, I suspect the starter. My question is, can I get away with=
 swapping in a 8V starter say from an A1 or A2 in to save a few bucks. I, in=
 the past, have only used Bosch Remanufactured starters when it came to repl=
acing them in my daily driver. However, I'm just trying to get this project=20=
running.=20
<BR>
<BR>Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Jim
<BR>91 Jetta Gli 16V, 87 Scirocco 16V, 84 Rabbit Gti Callaway Project
<BR>http://members.aol.com/jlpawlicki</FONT></HTML>

--part1_de.3618a05b.2baf4324_boundary--