Mk1 [tech] - Addition of pre-pump?

AFAIK, none of the mk1 rocco's came with a fuel pre-pump installed.
I would like to know (besides wiring issues) what, if any, issues there
would be to install a pre-pump?

The main reason for asking is an experience I had with my former '81
while autocrossing... I had about 1/4 to 1/3 tank of fuel...
coming around a long sweeper (left-hand turn) and then onto a straightaway
the car would starve itself for fuel and sputter.  Not good while trying
to race!  So, the issue was obvious to me... the car really needs a
pre-pump, or of course just a full tank of fuel... which isn't always
the best idea on the track...

Anyhow, any experience with this one would be appreciated!

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v
80 Scirocco (new engine is almost ready!)
93 Passat GLX

http://www.geocities.com/vwtype53/