Mk1 [tech] - Addition of pre-pump?

The biggest issue to resolve will be if the later style sender (with
transfer pump) uses the same tank fitting as the earlier style sender
only.

I expect that this is the case.  The next challenge will be fitting the
transfer pump into the tank.  The 84.5+ cars have a slightly larger tank
with a small dish at the bottom where the strainer for the transfer pump
collects fuel from.  IIRC the transfer pump assembly on the sender is
spring loaded to ensure that it sits on the bottom of the tank (I know
this to be the case with A2 transfer pumps, but it's been a few years
since I replaced the one on the scirocco.)  It may be necessary to modify
the transfer pump or the line that connects it to the sender in order to
allow the pump pickup to sit at the bottom of the tank.  Also, a number of
pre-84 A1 tanks I have been into have baffles in the tank around the
pickup tube (which runs out the bottom front corner of the tank)  It may
be necessary to find an aftermarket tank (without these baffles) or remove
them (not sure if this is possible without destroying the tank.)  The key
is to ensure that the pickup strainer sits as close to the bottom at the
lowest part of the tank.

You will also need to block off your current feed and return connections
on the tank and re-plumb your fuel lines so that the transfer pump routes
to the main pump (good idea to put in a small resevoir or later Scirocco
"filter/resevoir" to keep the main pump from overrunning the transfer
pump) and the return line goes to the top of the tank.

Does this help at all?

Drew