E brake cable broke

Marko Latrell wrote:

> How hard is it to replace ?

Not very hard at all. Replace BOTH cables, the other is stretched and
is old.

> The cable is slacked and I pulled some up, but for some reason when I pull the e brake lever up, it still holds a little.

Because there are TWO cables.

> I should try leave the old one as is and use it as a snake for the the new one ?

See below.

> Or who needs a parking brake anyway ?
>
> thanks,
> Marko
> ---
> 87 Scirocco 8v

Seeing as you prob. have rear drum brakes on your 87 8v I would also
buy the ATE drum brake spring kit and some new drum brake pads. Rear
bearings aren't as necessary but some brake cleaner and some fresh
bearing grease are in order. (WHY? you ask- because with the rear
drums coming off it's a Wonderful time to get at stuff you don't want
to deal with later. That's why).

Get two new cables, remove the old ones, you will find two capture
nuts on the inside end. Lube up the cables with a little of the
bearing grease and insert them into the tubes under the car.

It will be fun getting the drum brakes to release enough to attach the
free end of the cable to the brake lever, but I don't think you will
have to remove the lever to do so.

Contact me directly for more info if needed. Oh, and old bearing
grease and new bearing grease don't mix- clean all the old stuff out
before repacking.

hth,
TBerk