What is your exhaust temp?

Yes, it makes sense - if you were running a bit lean at idle, it wouldn't hurt the engine, but your exhaust temps would be pretty high.  Richening the mixture will help this (I believe because fuel acts as heat absorption), but unfortunately it will increase the other emissions pollutants (hydrocarbons?).  So it's a matter of trying to get the mixture rich enough to just barely pass the NOx test and not fail the other tests...