  From: Ryan H=20
  To: jesse Neufeld=20
  Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 10:53 PM
  Subject: Re: small boost set-up with CIS-E??

  Well Jesse, I don't know if you've been following my threads, but I've =
been discussing such a setup recently.
  Problems with CIS-E include: Aggressive ignition map (turbos don't =
work well with much advance - detonation!), insufficient fuel delivery =
for more than about 5 lbs. boost.  I talked with someone who has a turbo =
CIS (not -E), and they were able to run 5 psi with the stock setup (keep =
in mind, CIS doesn't advance timing as much).  Also, CIS cars have a =
warm-up regulator, which to my knowledge can be adjusted for more fuel =
at high rpm.
  Basically, the setup I believe will work after talking with everyone =
is this:
  1.) dual MLS head gaskets (or one copper head gasket) to reduce =
compression to around 8.8:1
  2.) ARP head studs (not vital with super low boost, but good =
insurance)
  3.) Timing retard - don't know how else to do this other than =
retarding base timing big time.  I will am looking for a better =
solution.
  4.) Additional fuel - a couple suggestions: swapping in a Volvo 240 =
fuel distributor and warm up regulator - they are turbo factory, so the =
distrib/WUR provides more fuel.  I don't think it's compatible with the =
differential pressure regulator of CIS-E, though.  Audi 5000 fuel =
distributor - these have an extra port (they were 5 cylinders) which you =
could use near the throttle body.  Only problem is, it would run really =
rich at idle.

  As a note, the person who was running 5 lbs. on CIS cracked two sets =
of pistons.

  For a real turbo kit, you shouldn't use either the factory 4-2 thing =
or an aftermarket downpipe... these are designed for naturally =
aspirated, and will crack under the high heat of a turbo.  So look for a =
real manifold.  ATP sells a manifold for use with the Garrett T3/04 =
turbo.
  Overall, it's a lot more work than it looks, but well worth it if you =
can manage.
  Any other questions, just ask.

  >=20
  > From: "jesse Neufeld" <twitchiban1234@hotmail.com>
  > Date: 2003/03/05 Wed PM 10:33:16 EST
  > To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  > Subject: small boost set-up with CIS-E??
  >=20
  >=20

-----

  hey me and a friend were thinking of doing a small cheap turbo set up =
on his prelude and if it works out good maybe do one on my car in the =
near future.. so my question.. how well will the stock CIS-E fuel system =
on my 84 scirocco fare with about 5psi boost max? will it be sufficiant =
for a turbo set up?

  also i have a a1 dual outlet manifold and the stock 4-1 "toilet bowl" =
off my car.. what one would be better to weld up as a turbo mani.??
  thanks

  -84 Kamei body Scirocco

------=_NextPart_000_00AF_01C2E3BC.3E908290

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ryan: </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I think most of your point apply to the =
16V. I=20
believe Jesse has a JH 8V.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1. no head gasket antics required. =
engine is=20
already at 8.5:1 cr.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2. head studs. I would think any power =
level=20
acheiveable with CIS (not including an EIC) wouldn't need head=20
studs.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3. timing retard. Remember this isn't a =
KS ignition=20
on an '84. MSD retard box or perhaps a distributor with a retard=20
diaphragm.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4. Fuel. all these points are good =
except not sure=20
about if you should block off&nbsp; the 5th port on the Audi FD. =
Personally I'd=20
use the Volvo FD and not worry about fuel distribution =
issues.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The ATP manifold will mount any T3 =
turbine housing,=20
so any T3 turbo or T3/T04 hybrid will bolt to it. I personally think =
it's a POS=20
from a perfomance standpoint, but it's available, it isn't too expensive =
and=20
it's proven.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dan</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:rhock99@epix.net"; title=3Drhock99@epix.net>Ryan =
H</A> </DIV>
  href=3D"mailto:twitchiban1234@hotmail.com"=20
  title=3Dtwitchiban1234@hotmail.com>jesse Neufeld</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Cc:</B> <A=20
  href=3D"mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org"=20
  title=3Dscirocco-l@scirocco.org>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, March 05, 2003 =
10:53=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: small boost set-up =
with=20
  CIS-E??</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>Well Jesse, I don't know if you've been following my =
threads,=20
  but I've been discussing such a setup recently.<BR>Problems with CIS-E =

  include: Aggressive ignition map (turbos don't work well with much =
advance -=20
  detonation!), insufficient fuel delivery for more than about 5 lbs.=20
  boost.&nbsp; I talked with someone who has a turbo CIS (not -E), and =
they were=20
  able to run 5 psi with the stock setup (keep in mind, CIS doesn't =
advance=20
  timing as much).&nbsp; Also, CIS cars have a warm-up regulator, which =
to my=20
  knowledge can be adjusted for more fuel at high rpm.<BR>Basically, the =
setup I=20
  believe will work after talking with everyone is this:<BR>1.) dual MLS =
head=20
  gaskets (or one copper head gasket) to reduce compression to around=20
  8.8:1<BR>2.) ARP head studs (not vital with super low boost, but good=20
  insurance)<BR>3.) Timing retard - don't know how else to do this other =
than=20
  retarding base timing big time.&nbsp; I will am looking for a better=20
  solution.<BR>4.) Additional fuel - a couple suggestions: swapping in a =
Volvo=20
  240 fuel distributor and warm up regulator - they are turbo factory, =
so the=20
  distrib/WUR provides more fuel.&nbsp; I don't think it's compatible =
with the=20
  differential pressure regulator of CIS-E, though.&nbsp; Audi 5000 fuel =

  distributor - these have an extra port (they were 5 cylinders) which =
you could=20
  use near the throttle body.&nbsp; Only problem is, it would run really =
rich at=20
  idle.<BR><BR>As a note, the person who was running 5 lbs. on CIS =
cracked two=20
  sets of pistons.<BR><BR>For a real turbo kit, you shouldn't use either =
the=20
  factory 4-2 thing or an aftermarket downpipe... these are designed for =

  naturally aspirated, and will crack under the high heat of a =
turbo.&nbsp; So=20
  look for a real manifold.&nbsp; ATP sells a manifold for use with the =
Garrett=20
  T3/04 turbo.<BR>Overall, it's a lot more work than it looks, but well =
worth it=20
  if you can manage.<BR>Any other questions, just ask.<BR><BR><BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
  From: "jesse Neufeld" &lt;twitchiban1234@hotmail.com&gt;<BR>&gt; Date: =

  2003/03/05 Wed PM 10:33:16 EST<BR>&gt; To: =
scirocco-l@scirocco.org<BR>&gt;=20
  Subject: small boost set-up with CIS-E??<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>
  <P>
  <HR>

  <P></P>
  <DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <P>hey me and a friend were thinking of doing a small cheap turbo set =
up on=20
  his prelude and if it works out good maybe do one on my car in the =
near=20
  future.. so my question.. how well will the stock CIS-E fuel system on =
my 84=20
  scirocco fare with about 5psi boost max? will it be sufficiant for a =
turbo set=20
  up?</P>
  <P>also i have a a1 dual outlet manifold and the stock 4-1 "toilet =
bowl" off=20
  my car.. what one would be better to weld up as a turbo=20
  mani.??<BR>thanks<BR><BR></P>
  <DIV>-84 Kamei body Scirocco</DIV>
  <DIV></DIV></DIV><BR clear=3Dall>
  <HR>