small boost set-up with CIS-E??

------=____1046922836649_h5+9zspCGn

Well Jesse, I don't know if you've been following my threads, but I've been discussing such a setup recently.
Problems with CIS-E include: Aggressive ignition map (turbos don't work well with much advance - detonation!), insufficient fuel delivery for more than about 5 lbs. boost.  I talked with someone who has a turbo CIS (not -E), and they were able to run 5 psi with the stock setup (keep in mind, CIS doesn't advance timing as much).  Also, CIS cars have a warm-up regulator, which to my knowledge can be adjusted for more fuel at high rpm.
Basically, the setup I believe will work after talking with everyone is this:
1.) dual MLS head gaskets (or one copper head gasket) to reduce compression to around 8.8:1
2.) ARP head studs (not vital with super low boost, but good insurance)
3.) Timing retard - don't know how else to do this other than retarding base timing big time.  I will am looking for a better solution.
4.) Additional fuel - a couple suggestions: swapping in a Volvo 240 fuel distributor and warm up regulator - they are turbo factory, so the distrib/WUR provides more fuel.  I don't think it's compatible with the differential pressure regulator of CIS-E, though.  Audi 5000 fuel distributor - these have an extra port (they were 5 cylinders) which you could use near the throttle body.  Only problem is, it would run really rich at idle.

As a note, the person who was running 5 lbs. on CIS cracked two sets of pistons.

For a real turbo kit, you shouldn't use either the factory 4-2 thing or an aftermarket downpipe... these are designed for naturally aspirated, and will crack under the high heat of a turbo.  So look for a real manifold.  ATP sells a manifold for use with the Garrett T3/04 turbo.
Overall, it's a lot more work than it looks, but well worth it if you can manage.
Any other questions, just ask.

> From: "jesse Neufeld" <twitchiban1234@hotmail.com>
> Date: 2003/03/05 Wed PM 10:33:16 EST
> To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> Subject: small boost set-up with CIS-E??

------=____1046922836649_h5+9zspCGn

<DIV></DIV>
<P>hey me and a friend were thinking of doing a small cheap turbo set up on his prelude and if it works out good maybe do one on my car in the near future.. so my question.. how well will the stock CIS-E fuel system on my 84 scirocco fare with about 5psi boost max? will it be sufficiant for a turbo set up?</P>
<P>also i have a a1 dual outlet manifold and the stock 4-1 "toilet bowl" off my car.. what one would be better to weld up as a turbo mani.??<BR>thanks<BR><BR></P>
<DIV>-84 Kamei body Scirocco</DIV>