When/why we need x-member bracing

Neal would these be considered stress marks on my
Scirocco.  Its an 84 Scirocco built in 12/83 so it has
the small tank and full size spare.  Even though I am
in Florida, that area has some rust frrom being a
northern car so I am unsure of what these lines are.
My 84 is complety stock also
http://camo.flage.net/vag/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=albuo48&id=P3050123

=====
-Andrew Wong