crossmember update (more pics..)

Dan,

That's a very interesting theory, and I did not know that the front mount
was an add-on!

I think you're probably right to some degree. But take note that just
about every case of cracked crossmember I've seen (and maybe people will
jump out here to prove me wrong - feel free!) has been on a Mk2, usually
with a 2L 16v. And the cracks typically develop within a year or two of
upgrading the engine. Those has just been my observations, though. I'm
sure I'm gonna catch flak for saying that..

Personally, I think poly mounts are a big contributor. I have a poly front
mount and a vw motorsports rear mount and when I jump on and off of the
gas very quickly the whole car jerks around like a friggin air hammer.
That kind of pounding has got to do bad things to the thin sheetmetal
that vw spot welded together to form a crossmember.

-Toby